Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Tradition (truh dish uhn)


This week started off with hero Aunt Descie! She came for two days to spend with Len. It was SO nice! I realize when I finally get to spend one on one time with my family how nice it is and how I wish I could do it more often. She did such a nice job with the gingersnap! And when someone went down at night, we got to visit and catch up. I'm very lucky to have an amazing Godmother in my life, who has stayed active, involved, and interested since day one. When we chose Eleanor's godparents, I looked for godmothers that would also have that same energy toward "the job."
For the rest of the week she spent time with Auntie/Grandma Di, Mom at Work, and Dad took an afternoon off.

Len's newfound mobility has been beautiful in the beginning stages... right now when Matt comes home and if she's playing on the floor and she sees him, she'll take off toward him but gets too excited and faceplants into the carpet. This doesn't deter her excitement level tho... there she is laughing and giggling, face in the carpet as he meets her in the middle. It really does warm my heart to see the relationship that they have - even if I'm chopped liver.

On Friday night, we introduced Eleanor to one of our traditions... we go out to eat at Taco John's and have Nachos Navidad and then go out and take in the Christmas lights. This year we knew it would be more difficult because Eleanor may not have a fine appreciation for luminary displays. So we decided to hit it all in one stop. We hit Chmielewski's Christmas Corner which is always a highlight for Matt and I. Someone was mystified. All she did was watch. It didn't help that the temp had dropped and she was probably getting a bit chilly but she watched the ski lift and the ferris wheel with characters. It was all so magical and to watch her face in awe warmed my heart.

There's something about the deliberate making of memories during this holiday
season that has reminded me how lucky I am. We've been waiting and wishing for Eleanor for so long that for her to be here for this Christmas season seems like so many dreams come true. I want to remember this season of her first Christmas, the Christmas where we became a family. Matt and I have had so many deliberate talks about traditions, past happenings, Christmas memories, and more. We are probably over thinking things but I'm okay with that. We waited so long to have these talks that I never get sick of them.

Best meal: I do like nachos navidad - not because the nachos are good - it is Taco John's afterall - but because of the tradition that Matt and I have created in this.

8:10
MJR: Um, where is Denise?
ALR: She went to Sam's Club.
MJR: Well, wasn't that like at 7:00.
ALR: I think so.
MJR: Sam's isn't that far away.

ALR: I know, I'm aware of Bismarck geography.
MJR: What do you think is taking so long?
ALR: It's Sam's Club, maybe she had a lot to get.
MJR: Hmmmm.
8:22
MJR: You haven't heard from her?
ALR: Who?
MJR: Denise.
ALR: No, Should I have?
MJR: Well, she's out still.
ALR: I know, she is a big girl - maybe she had other running around to do.
MJR: Did she tell you that?
ALR: No. But I told her that we'd give her the nights off so she could do anything that she needed to.
8:35 
MJR: I just think it's been an awful long time, what if she got lost or disoriented.
ALR: Do you want me to text her and see what's going on.
MJR: Yes.
8:37
ALR: She responded, she's alive, she'll be home in a bit. She probably wasn't aware of her curfew that you imposed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment