Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Homecoming (hohm- kuhm ing)

It's amazing how things can change so quickly.... one day I'm toting around a watermelon, the next I'm staring at the most beautiful face in the world. The thing is everyone tells you these these and you brush off the cliches and sayings until you are sitting there with your little family, completely in awe of what's happening.

Enough with all the gooey feelings - I'm obviously still a little emotional about the whole event. The hospital stay was quick - we were so blessed to have an amazing team of support to help with the questions, the nights, the struggles of the unknown, and my PUPP rash which started before she was born and still is a battling in my life. It went from the back of my neck hairline to my palms of my hands to the soles of my feet and between my toes. The swelling, burning, itchy was so intense. I did comment to Matt that maybe it's a good thing that I have it, otherwise life would be too perfect. In all seriousness, that was the biggest problem with our stay as we were constantly putting ice packs and dealing with the itch.

It was pretty easy to brush off when I looked at Len and what we had. We had so many visitors!! It was great to show her off. She saw both of her grandparents right away, her aunt, as well as some more distant relatives including all of my grandparents, all of my maternal aunts, a friend (Brandi), and we enjoyed all the well wishes, the phone calls, and texts from those that celebrated our news! Matt stayed with me the entire time in the hospital. While the couch didn't look too comfortable, he really made the best of it. He changed the first diapers - which was a treat to watch. I soaked it all in. Sure, there were times when we did look at each other at times and go... were we ready? But I wouldn't have wanted to look at anybody else to answer that question.

Saturday, we went home... our little family of three. The hard part wasn't so much getting her out the door but putting clothes on her. Matt actually broke a sweat getting the outfit on. I brought two outfits to the hospital... the one I had picked out long ago she'd already outgrown so we had to go with plan B outfit.

We were discharged, loaded up, and sent on our way. I think we were all in a little shock. It wasn't a long ride but one that had Matt avoiding potholes and taking corners slower than previously. Grandma Michele had prepped the outside of the house proper for her arrival. It was cute to see the balloons and welcome sign! She had stayed at our house for a couple days and it was so nice for Matt to have a support as well as her to take care of the cats.
Best meal: We had a couple meals in the hospital together. One, we actually got to sit down at the table together... Matt had a french dip with cottage cheese fruit plate and a coke, I had a cheese pizza with cottage cheese and yogurt with lemonade.


Second night in the hospital, approx 4am
MJR stirs.
ALR wakes up.
MJR stands above bassinet.
ALR watches, waiting.
MJR says to EER: Good, you are still alive.
MJR goes back to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment