Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

How to understand the reason for the season...

Sometimes it's not about the big gifts that make Christmas, it's the special personal touches. It's the little things around the holidays that I love and search for each year.

We had our first Christmas of 4 on Sunday. We had the Christmas at the Farm. The schedule of events is always the same, which I love. The only things that have changed over the years are the roles and involvements. Dad does chores, I used to go out and help but now Matt has taken that role from me. We then enjoy Grandma's Christmas bread and open presents. Already, Matt and I did very well this year. You know you are getting old when you are most excited about the toothbrush that you got! Matt's favorite gift was his blind bag but one gift we didn't even know we wanted and liked was spare folding chairs, that match our current table.
From there, we prepare the meal, which over the past how many years has been fondue. This is one of my top three meals every year. I love the simplicity. I love watching how my father enjoys it. I love the creativity and fun. We had a different time this year as Alaina had her tonsils and adenoids removed. For her I made a creamy fettuccine Alfredo.

It was a beautiful day that was completely relaxed and full of family (jokes and jabs too). The only thing we were missing was the little chihuahua, Bell. After 10 years of winning the hearts of many, specifically my parents, they had to have her put down due to heart and liver failure. I know what she meant to our family and she won't be easily forgotten.

The other beautiful thing that I watched this week was what Kevie, Matt's cousin, did. At Lee's funeral, it was a great time to spend with family and have them share memories. Matt is more sentimental than most realize. He keeps things that bring him memories and it's an endearing quality that I love. It reminds me how much he does care even when he doesn't appear to show any feelings. One of his favorite memories of his Grandmother Lee is when they'd make tea. They'd use two particular cups and he'd say, "Just serve me, Grandma."

This week those two tea cups and saucers showed up at our doorstep. Lee had given them to Kevie long ago on a trip to Vegas but after Matt shared his stories, Kevie decided to send the cups to Matt. Her note and thoughtfulness touched me. I've always thought of Kevie as a giving soul and this gesture not only confirmed this further, it brought tears to my eyes. We decided both some of the four piece set will return back to Kevie but the gesture wasn't lost and the smile when he saw them won't be either.

Best meal: I love the fondue with the oil and cheese followed with caramel and chocolate for dessert. Next year it will probably be different but this meal is always a favorite because of the process and all.

MJR: There is a note.
ALR: I'll read it.
ALR reads Kevie's note outloud.
ALR: "P.s. I think this is blog worthy."
ALR: Yes, you are completely right, Kevie, this is very blog worthy.

MJR looking down and smiling at teeny cup in hand.
MJR: Just serve me, Grandma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment