Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Valentine's Day Romance

Confession: I’ve never been much of a Valentine’s Day girl, for a couple reasons, it can be such a let down. It’s kinda like New Year’s Eve, such high expectations for grandiose and fun and in the past I’ve gone home and done the “Really? Did he seriously take me to Sammy’s pizza and I have to sit in the “family section”, how much forethought does that take?” So last year when Matt and I decided to create our night and buy surf and turf to celebrate (versus gifts), I wasn’t aware of the tradition that we were starting and I’m glad we did. It was a wonderful night, actually the best I’ve had all year. We cooked dinner together (smoked sirloin steaks and steamed Alaskan king crab) while enjoying a bottle of red and some spiked apple cider. We then moved onto the living room where we had great conversation over martinis. We covered all sorts of topics from our past trips, to our pasts, to the wedding, to our future. It was an incredible night that may have made me a believer in Valentine’s Day and the romance that goes with it.


The night kicked off a productive weekend where I spent most of Saturday cleaning house, which was strangely cleansing. By the end of the day I was feeling awful productive but a bit grungy and tired. On Sunday, we started slow but made our way to Mom and Dad’s to clean barn, play with the calves, and supervise another birth. Matt left that night, but I stayed put to run errands in Bismarck the next day with Mom. These included a trip to the dentist, a haircut, a trip to my tax guy, pharmacy, groceries, AND MORE. It was good to be with Mom for the day just running around and talking. We didn’t do too much wedding stuff but we are in the bump of not being too close to do some things but having most of the big things already done.

We are heading north this next weekend to check out Brendan and Claudia’s newest addition, Jackson Liam, who arrived this week.

Best Meal: Valentine’s Day Surf and Turf. The funny thing is that Matt had me steam carrots to go with the meal, they didn’t even get to the table. We’ll have them with porkchops tonight.

“I love Valentine’s Day.” MJR

No comments:

Post a Comment