Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

SLEDS and photography


Sleds out!!! We got approximately 2 inches of snow. So out came the snow canoes!! This was my favorite part of the weekend. Matt and I talked about going somewhere but instead trekked across the lake and set up shop on the other community side. We spent about an hour out there. Ains gave up well before E or G but the laughter filled the air. It felt light and right and we had the hill to ourselves. A few people have been clearing skating rinks and there was some exposed ice which made for another adventure but it was a well-needed smile that was perfectly timed. This was Sunday mid-morning.


On Saturday, we took some time to clean and straighten the house. It was a full team effort and everybody was willing to help out. E loved gathering up the Christmas stuff to put away. However, she did inform me that it made her sad because that meant that Christmas was over. She did ask if Elton would know that it was all gone. I said, yes - him and Santa would both know. Big news in the cleanup process.... we found the gun keys!!! They were sandwiched between two photos that typically go on the mantel. Obviously, I forgot that hunting season doesn't end until the new year. I'm just glad that we found them and that for the most part Matt wasn't too hurt in the process. 

Ains did not help out as much as her sister - she's into playing alone more than the others were at her age. She will gather her babies and spend time caring for them. She does read books like her sister but she's finding her space in the world. She's in a stage right now that I remember fondly with G - the nodding stage. You ask her a question and you get a fully committed nod. Not a little head jiggle but a full on chin up and down nod. G's made my heart always soften - hers are the same. She doesn't shake her head no, she'll voice that opinion but nods for the yes. I love hearing her say her siblings names - they are clear and sure. We are working on her own name still but haven't heard that belted out yet. 

Sunday afternoon, Rick and Shantelle and Alice stopped by on their way through from a puppy errand. It was fun to catch up and I think they only slightly overwhelmed Alice - so there's progress there! Ha! Eleanor has a beautiful bond with her - which amazes me when you consider they only see each other a few times a year. As I tucked her into bed that night - "Mama, Alices is my best friend and I love her." 

E has fully gotten excited about her Christmas camera. She takes picture and picture and picture. I'm so curious to go through them to see the world through her eye but I've seen the creative process that she engages and I'm a bit concerned. She will take 5 pictures of a piece of fluff on the carpet. There's an avantgarde and then there's this. She does take people pictures and will tell you to pose or to say cheese. I'm not sure the range on things or what she's cutting off or focusing on but she killed me the other night. G was having a meltdown about the wrapping paper roll. He had been beating things and people with it. I got irritated and crushed it and threw it down the stairs. He had a fit and then he moved on. He went downstairs and again saw his shattered dreams and the cry awoke in him again. E determined it would be a good moment to capture this raw emotion and through his entire meltdown took pictures. Bad mom confession: I chuckled a little and didn't even bother to stop her! 


ALR starts to walk on the sidewalk around the block to go to the community side of the lake.
MJR: How about we just walk across the lake?
ALR experiences a duh moment.
Everyone walks down the steps to the lake.
GRR: Where's the water?

No comments:

Post a Comment