Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Tree Ornaments and Advent Calendars

It's December! It's the close-in on Christmas. A few things started...decorating and advent calendars.

The weekend started with my parents taking the kids for the GRE "socially distanced" Covid-19 approved Holiday Party. This party is typically a fun interactive treat - trampolines, Heritage Center, etc. I could tell my mom was bummed that it wasn't going to be the experience that it normally was but from the kid's POV, they got it. It was a drive-thru scavenger hunt with gifts at the end. They picked up McDonalds and came home. They got presents - which was super nice and have loved them. 

The next day was finishing up on the Christmas decorating. I put the tree up - first fake we've had in years - which in all honesty was nice. No needles, no watering, and the ornaments hang like a dream. We took the kids to Hobby Lobby to pick out their ornaments. The tradition is that Matt and I each pick out an ornament for the kids and then from those two the kids make their selection. Friendly competition of "pick your pony" Here's how the past has looked:

2016: E - me (lamb) : ME

2017: E - Matt (Santa), G - me (Bear) : SPLIT

2018: E - me (Peppa), G - Matt (Christmas Story leg lamp) : SPLIT

2019: E - me (unicorn), G - Matt (spindly leg deer), A - me (booties) : ME

2020 was no sweep. I thought I had some solid picks too. E - Matt (giant unicorn ball chosen over my Christmas hippo), G - me (firetruck over Matt's airplane), and A - Matt (ballerina over my festive Llama) so Matt took the year. but given that he's never been the total victor, maybe it was due. 

Decorating the tree wasn't a total disaster - mild, definitely a struggle with all the "help" we got. Ains may have been the worse as she kept trying to grab and reach. I need to work on my system - all in all they did a nice job. It's going to be work to keep the fingers out of the tree now. 

With the tree comes Elton the elf - our scout elf on the shelf. E, especially, has been talking and waiting for his arrival. There's something about the magic of Christmas and the elf and Santa seem to bring it forward. The thing it, I ask the kids about what they want for Christmas - worried we are fixing on the gifts versus the magic of the season and E can't tell you what she wants. It's very interesting to me. Ainsey on the other hand wants a Bissel crosswave. Girl is set on it. 

To also get into the spirit, we made sugar cookies - I screwed up the dough
this year and it was a struggle from start to finish. E seemed to follow directions the best but man - at one point I realized that I was not going to get my mom of the year trophy again. I love their excitement and I'm glad Ains didn't puke from all the dough I busted her on sneaking into her mouth. 

Advent calendars started too - The kids chose a bag to read every night and we open it up and read a Christmas story. Matt's advent calendar started too. He got the Costco German Beer Advent Calendar and I decided to partake in the fun. I think I caught him off guard the first night as I decided to Facebook live it. I will honestly say that first day's response shocked the hell out of me. People watched, thought it was fun, and made comments about watching it for the long haul. I thought Matt was going to tip over when I said there were over 100 views the next day. 

The weather has been on our side... high 40s and 50s We've been able to get the kids outside during the day - nights come too quick so there really isn't playtime after we get home on the weekdays but Matt's taken then for hikes and cleaned up the yard and watched the geese come and go. I'm not sure if this will hamper our white Christmas or not but in a time when we need to keep moving and get outside - it's been wonderful. 

Ainsey's vocab is starting to explode. We discovered along with Mom and Dad, she can say her siblings' names and is starting to pick out books from her series. I've read Llama Llama and Goodnight Train every night (or day) for approximately the past 2 weeks. I am lucky that all of my kids have gravitated towards books and sees them as a wonderful experience.

EER stands at the top of the stairs
EER: Okay everyone - I have an announcement to make.
MJR: We are listening.
EER: Mom - you're Anna.
ALR to MJR: Ohhh, that's a good role. 
EER continues: Dad, you're Kristoff
ALR to MJR: Well, that's not terrible, could have been worse.
EER: Grady - you are Sven.
ALR to MJR: Fitting. 
EER: Ainsley - you're the north soldier. 
ALR: Reall? You think? I think she'd make a better water spirit.
EER stares at ALR
EER looks at ARR: Ainsley, you're the water horse. 
Play ensues.
Play moves outside as MJR grills supper on the deck.
Children are playing outside, their voices carry in the night.
EER comes outside: They are calling to me!
MJR can't contain laughing and walks away. 

Tucking EER and GRR into bed... again. 
ALR: Goodnight, I'll see you tomorrow morning.
GRR: Tomorrow is Christmas, momma.
Repeat that every night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment