Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Shannon, Kevie, Jason, Carolin and Vegas

This past weekend, we went to Vegas... you know for the weekend. Like it's a normal thing. It was so much fun. Kevie and Shannon invited us down and we've been talking about it for about 3 years and we decided we needed to quit talking and do. Don't get me wrong - COVID traveling was enough to sky rocket my anxiety but I also knew we weren't going to be crazy with hotel stays and tourism spots. 

 

We left Thursday morning, arrived in time for lunch at Pizza Rock. We had the amazing margarita pizza - the fluffy dough and sauce followed by the melty cheese and the basil waiting to be eaten, it was amazing. We also did the Detroit style but the other was better in my mind. We left fat and happy. We explored downtown a bit and hung out in the art district. It was fun to see the Burning Man sculptures. We took in a few antique shops - which were crazy the stuff. My favorite is the "Let's make it a lamp" aisle. Type writer, camera, water ski, snow ski, carousel... let's make it a lamp. I feel like I need to put things like that in my house... I'll call it inspiration. 

After a craft brew and an impromptu run to Trader Joe's, we headed back to their place - caught up with the dogs and Kevie made a glazed salmon and sticky rice. The best part of the day was at night though - I was in on the secret but Jason and Carolin, his finance, made an appearance. They had flown in from CA to join in the fun. Matt was so surprised - "What the fu(% are you doing here!" We caught up for a bit, made plans for the next day and went to bed - well some of us. Jason and Carolin made their own fun and Shannon finally had to get after Matt and told him it was time to go to bed too - or at least that's what he thought!

The next morning, we headed to the golf course. I hadn't golfed since I was pregnant with Grady and it showed but I had a great time. I haven't laughed that much for so long - it was Kevie, Jason, Matt and I. Everyone was bantering back and forth - there were some good shots, there were some water shots, there was some wildlife, Jason may have had a few DNRs but everyone gave as well as received. It's times like that that I wish we lived so much closer to them and could do that on a regular basis. 

After golf, we headed to lunch at a Chicago-inspired place, Windy City. We grabbed Chicago Dogs, Hot Italians, Corn Dogs, and Hot Beefs and headed back to their place to rest up a bit. Kevie, Matt, and I went down to the strip mall to go through the Columbia store - we took in the Disney store too before heading back to have Kevie's chicken piccata. We had a camp fire and followed it up with the PieCaken. I had wanted to contribute something to the fun but knew that we wouldn't be able to drag food and that it would be fun to share things. This "cake" was serious. You start with a pecan pie, followed with a pumpkin pie, next a spice cake, topped with an inside out apple pie. I ate so much I fricken hurt - bad. 


The following day, we roadtripped and sight saw. We headed to Red Rocks after an amazing breakfast at this little biker (as in cyclist) spot for breakfast called Cottonwood. Matt had a breakfast burrito and I did the pizza. From there we went to this little cactus place - the place that Matt hates taking me to as there's a lot of stuff that could come home with us. It worked in his favor that we only had carry-ons. From there we headed to the park. It was beautiful - like a desert-ified badlands. I would like to take a walk or sit and watch the rock climbers who seemed so far away and tiny. Next, we went to one of Kevie and Shannon's hike spots - Mt. Charleston. Was funny to see snow in Nevada but was an interesting area and the Aspens would be beautiful in full leaves. Snacks at this little Wisconsin space and then headed back for cornhole, fire, puzzle, and drinks. The night ended with Cane's and In and Out and goodbyes because we were leaving so early the next day.

Kevie took us to the airport the next morning at 4:30. While waiting for the plane I reviewed the trip and thought of the teasing, the beers, the laughs, the miles, the food, and the time. We always have a good time with Kevie and it was amazing getting to know Shannon better - icing on the cake was Jason there and meeting his Carolin. It's fun to watch the family dynamics play out including the mannerisms that I see similarities in the cousins and their fathers.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Eleanor played with the kittes - whom both received the name Rosie. Grady rode around with Grandpa. Ainsley cut through her top eye teeth and followed everyone around. I heard about hay bales and on the way home from picking them up, E took a snoozer in the back seat. Her brother and sister picked on her and it seemed that nothing had changed from when we had left. 

MJR and Kevie setting up the chiminea. 
MJR to ALR: Do you see this?
ALR: Yes - it's a large fire tube.
MJR: Right! I want one. 
ALR: I've wanted to get one too - I've been looking at spring clean up 
MJR and Kevie begin dropping logs into the tube.
Kevie laughs: Well, Matt used to be a firefighter so we are covered right?
MJR: There's no kids around - we are fine!
MJR runs hand over fire shooting from tube. 

No comments:

Post a Comment