Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2019

The third Mother's Day

This is my third Mother's Day. Each Mother's Day that I've celebrated, I've celebrated with a new baby. Next year, we break that tradition.

This year it's weird to think that I have a barely three year old, a one and a half year old, and a two month old... I'm like a hardcore mom. I have changed three bad diapers in a row, on three different kids all within a 5 minute span of time. I've caught puke in my hand. I've smelled more butts than I care to admit. I've picked noses that weren't mine. I've used my spit to clean a dirt face. I've used the quintessential mom phrases: Because I said so. Because I'm the mom. Only Mom can talk to Dad like that. Because Moms know these things. Where is your father? Talk to your dad. I've cried for hurts that could be and for hurts that are. I've rocked for hours. I've argued about wardrobe choices. I've gone through hostage negotiations over a meal. I've dropped to the floor and crawled out of a room hoping they don't see me. I've slept on a floor. I've hid in their beds - because they weren't in it, so it must be a safe sleeping zone. I've paid one of them to pee in the potty. I've begged for a nap. I've done approximately 8,729 swaddles - to which can almost be perfection. I've sorted clothes by size and organized their wardrobes more times than I planned. I've kissed owies. I've affixed bandaids. I've supplied ice packs. I've swept eggs off the floor and rice. I've swept the table onto the floor because it's just easier sometimes. I've read a billion books. I've unintentionally memorized books. I've researched art projects. I know the entire cast of Peppa Pig. And I've said things that I never thought I'd have to, repeatedly: Quit drinking the tub water. Quit picking your nose. Quit licking your sister. We don't pull on the cat. We don't play in the toilet. Where is your diaper? Quit sucking your toothbrush. What did I just say? That is not how we sit on the toilet. Your shoes are still on the wrong feet. Get _____ out of your mouth!


Every day is not easy. Some days are really hard. Some days I'm a meh mom at best. But every day I love the three that call me mom. Every day I think of them and how I can give them what they need - how I can ease any pain - how I can be there for them - how I can show them the world. I live for the little moments... when E can't wait to show me something and her chatter gets going so fast she can't keep up with herself, when G puts those little arms around me at night and gives me a little smooch, when A wakes up in the morning and she sees my face and I get the biggest grin.

To my children on Mother's Day -
Thank you for changing my world.
Love you,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment