Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

Zoo and More....


This past week was that perfect storm of laid back yet busy. Matt and I spent a fair amount of time at the zoo for one reason or another. It was the annual member’s picnic and we decided to take that in and stroll around a bit. We weren’t expecting the huge crowd with the traffic all the way to the street. It was a nice get together and we tried to take our pics with the bears who were pretty active when we walked by. We also went to the zoo on Saturday morning after my first Bismarck basket pick up. They had a breakfast at the zoo and as members, we were given a discounted price. What a great time to go. Granted it wasn’t an ideal portion for Matt but the animals were active or easily seen. We even woke up a few, including the fox and a couple cats. I was surprised how active some of the prairie dogs were, the pups digging and fighting. Made for an good walk.
I also participated in the Commerce Golf Outing. Won’t lie, I was a bit nervous, not prepared enough in my mind and was worried about embarrassing myself. I didn’t do too bad. I had a rough go of the start but in the end we used a couple of my iron shots, and a couple putts. I wasn’t to upset at all! We did tie for first and lost in a putt-off but I guess you can’t win them all. I now have a nice bud light trophy sitting in the fridge.

Michele and Randy also came to town on Thursday night and we caught dinner with them. Michele’s garden is already producing and we are impressed. It allowed us to snack on some cucumbers and also pickle some beets on Sunday, even though we should have fried them up with butter!

On Friday, we worked some more on the garage including the prepping for concrete of the apron, which they are hoping to pour this weekend. We did some initial dirt work and screeding and fill dirt. Maybe by this time next month, someone will be parking in there. The downside of this garage is that it has really screwed with my mother’s garden. She planted things but that’s really all that’s going on…those plants are holding on to their bare existence and nothing else is coming up. Not even the weeds! I’m concerned that out tomato canning will be a bit stalled out! Here’s hoping it’s just a slow start.

The weekend was a hodgepodge of activities from driving tractors south to hay to cleaning up the yard to feeding kitties to haying to changing tires to cleaning the suite to fishing. Matt and I headed up to New John’s Lake. He threw a couple lines in the water and I took a nap. He ended up coming up with a blue gill and officially being not skunked but he did break his pole! It was a nice little drive and we had hoped for something more along the lines of walleye, but no dice. Maybe we’ll have to take it on again someday.

The only problem this week was the troublemakers that live with us in the basement. I’m not sure who the ring leader is or what but TonyDanza and Lola figured out how to outsmart the system and managed to get out of their refugee camp. This happened not daily, but multiple times a day. We had to rerig the system but we did promise them that if they can behave they can come above ground occasionally.

Best meal: hmmm…not sure if it was the deep fried pickles from toasted frog, the appetizers after the art show….probably the combination of the lavosh and pickles.

Mom&Dad are in the garage.
Bell stands at the door. Staring at the window.
Whining. Repeatedly.
MJR: Bell, no, that’s not a good color on you.


Eric: The reason I’m calling is I wanted to see if you were playing a trick on me.
ALR: Me? What?
Eric: Well, I got a father’s day card in the mail.
ALR: Oh!!! Are you telling me something! How exciting!
Eric: I just talked to the lady that supposedly sent it…and she says she didn’t send it.
ALR: And why do  you think it was me that sent it.
Eric: Well, I thought of all the people that may do it and then I thought that I may have deserved it, coming from you.
ALR: My only regret is not being there to see your face when you opened it. Did you heart sink?
Eric: All the way to my toes.


No comments:

Post a Comment