Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hockey and Herd Bulls

Well, we’ve snapped back a bit from subzero temperatures. We actually had a 29 above day. What a nice change. The wind was coming though to hit 40 miles per hour, but I guess you can’t always win. The one thing that we don’t like about our little condo on the hill is the driveway. It’s a steeper driveway into the garage and with it being north facing, it’s a bit harder than we expected for it to dry out. Don’t get me wrong, it’s better than our previous spots on the street, but I’m waiting for a good day to get out and do some scraping.


This past week wasn’t too eventful. We did make a quick trip back to the farm to help out a bit. Mom and I did the tough work and washed and cleaned the 5 bulls that are making the day trip out to Dickinson next Saturday. The boys worked and welded in the barn. They built a pen under the loft and then also put in Mom’s Christmas present of slam latches. Was nice to have some time to visit with Mom and get my “showing cattle” fix. I will admit, washing steers in the blocking chute in the middle of summer is better than bulls in the calving barn in the dead of winter!
 Matt’s team had a big week for hockey. He played 2 games this past weekend, one on Friday night and one on Sunday night. I went to the Friday night one, I knew it was a big deal to him as it’s the number 1 vs number 2 team. However, once I got there, I knew the outcome was going to be rough. Matt’s team had 5 guys and their goalie. The other team had 10 guys and their goalie. Not the best odds, but at the end of the 1st period, they were up! They didn’t get a single break for the whole game and they lost but that wasn’t the worst part. Matt broke his stick. We had to pick up a new one in Bis before heading out to the farm. He’s lucky we got it as he scored two goals on Sunday night to help his team win. Matt is #8.
 The big thing in my world is that we got the carpet cleaned on Friday. I love the set up of the living room but whoever puts white carpet in their house is CRAZY. We’ve had a few spots that I’ve been staring at with anger and frustration but they all came out in the wash. It looked SO good cleaned and fresh. It actually lead to my favorite part of the weekend. Laying in the middle of the floor, in the sun, reading the Sunday paper. We had the cats surrounding us.

Best meal: Matt pulled out the smoker again and we had salmon 2 ways. Way one was our traditional seasoning with salt, pepper, parsley, etc but way 2 was a new way, with brown sugar. They were both good and it was nice to compare the two. We ate healthy that night with steamed vegetables too!

MJR: yeah, right away when I broke the stick, I thought, SHIT, she’s watching.
ALR: yeah, I was afraid it would bother you, that’s why I texted you and said I’m not freaking out.

Had to share this pic...they actually tolerated each other enought to share the couch. They had a fight later on that night, but I'll take the small victory.


This pic was from our reveal. One of my favorite moments of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment