Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Bowls and Bulls

You know those weeks where you don’t know where the time went? Yeah, that’s my week. Work has been crazy for me. I’ve been doing a ton of h2a inspections, but in true government form, it’s the paperwork that eats up a ton of my time. Couldn’t seem to get caught up until today! Good feeling.

We started last weekend off the right way on Friday night with the girls from the firehall! Last year, Rockpile Energy did a great fundraiser for the DRFD, a chili cook off. This year they wanted to up the ante and the Ladies Auxiliary played along. We wanted to get involved to support our guys and the cause. So there we were on Friday night, chopping onions, peppers, and browning meat. We put our new president, Lindsay, in charge of the culinary aspect as she does it best! The new secretary whined about the quality of knives and lack of kitchen gadgets at the firehall. Yes, that would make the new secretary me. Matt was able to come away from his elections without a captain’s chair but I wasn’t so lucky! Ha! It’s a great group of women and it’s fun for both of us to support the cause, so we’ll see what comes of the year.

Saturday was BUSY!! That morning we watched the bull parade and were proud Simmental promoters at bull days. Dad always enjoys the day and it’s obvious! He did walk away with 4 or the pen of 5 sold and the bulls looked so good, despite the mud that he found on them from 1983. He was also the FIRST one in the ring. Talk about top of the line!

Saturday night was the chili cook off. Good friend, Kay, was in charge of decorations. She came out with sparkly trees, which we had to remind her that Christmas was over. She defended her aesthetic vision up and down until Todd started wearing the trees in a fashion similar to Madonna.
Kay: Todd, YOU PUT DOWN MY CHRISTMAS TREES!
MJR: So, you admit they are Christmas trees!
That’s when the laughter began. I decided to go a bit more unique and rock the unicorn horn!
Our chili didn’t win but we had such a good time, laughing, dancing, and we got runner up for people’s choice…who can complain about that, especially when $63,000 was raised for the cause to be split between the Dickinson Rural and the South Heart Rural Fire Departments.

On Sunday, Matt had dive so the day was cleaning up and organizing. But Monday, I headed to Bismarck while Matt finished the backsplash. It looks so good. I was so happy with the look, the way it’s changed the kitchen, and the ability to finally have my kitchen back in one piece! Gives me a little confidence to try a few other similar projects in the future.

On Wednesday, Matt had another hockey game. Here’s how it went at 10:00 when he came home.

“Honey!!! Where are you?? You missed a great game!!! You should have been there! They called us overskaters! I made 2 goals and one was a penalty shot!!! Great game!! 9-1!” While I may witch on him a bit about the cost, I’m so glad he’s enjoying it and is able to play! It’s no secret that he’s loving it!

Finally, I’ve decided that 2014 is the year I start shaming the cats. It’s not like they do anything around the house, they won’t get jobs. Won’t even look, won’t even work on their resumes and if they wouldn’t there’s nothing to put on them! So may the pet shaming begin.



Best Meal: Despite my initial hesitations, the chili that we made with the corn bread was amazing. It had seasoning but didn’t have the kick I was anticipating. Add some cider and some girls and it was an experience!

ALR: All the leftover salmon is Amanda's...House rules.
MJR: House rules? Well, maybe Amanda should cook her own salmon.
ALR: No, Matt cooks the salmon. House rules.
MJR: Do I get to make any of these house rules?
ALR: I haven't decided yet.


 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THE CAT COMMENTS.....LOVE IT!!! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete