Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Note of Thanks and Love...

A letter to our parents…
(alternative title: To our biggest blog readers and my Dad...)

When you read this Matt and I will both be thirty and married. Now both of these things could not have happened without you. Sure, we can joke about the conception thing, thanks for that. Each set has their own story of the particulars. Ironically, the details happened about the same time just completely different situations and countries. But in all seriousness, your love and guidance since the moment we were born has shaped our values, our personalities, our goals, and our motivations. You have provided an example of quality of character, demonstrations of strength and perseverance, and truths of what it means to be a partner in a relationship.

These examples served as guideposts as Matt and I struggled in dating. I have always openly admitted that I’ve never been a good dater. I chose the wrong guy for the wrong reasons and thought that I could make things work. Matt just didn’t find me soon enough, he can decide whether or not he wants to admit that his dating game wasn’t exactly top-notch (I’ve got eye witnesses in the fire department, so I don't need the verbal confession). But when we privately determined what we wanted in our partner, we went back to what we saw at homes and valued. Little did Matt and I know, but our first date and the conversations that we shared about our families is what solidified the months and years to come.

You’ve watched Matt and I date and sharing the news of our engagement with you before any of the rest of the world was a proud moment. We knew that it wasn’t a grand announcement but an off the cuff moment and that’s how we were raised…in simple situations that were created grand by the news and the people in them.

Now to the guts of this letter…thank you for these past 30 years. Thank you to what you’ve provided for us. You’ve provided tough love, an appreciation for an honest work ethic, a clear voice, and a continued listening ear with the guiding voice. Your example in love and your examples of parenting will take us through our wedding. Thank you for our wedding. You both provided in ways that can’t be described. You helped us where you could financially and that did not go unappreciated. This help allowed Matt and I to have the day that we didn’t even know we wanted. You provided reason when asked and you were there for us from the first step in dress and tux to the walk down the aisle to the final good byes at the end of the night. We could not have had our day without you there. When Matt and I found ourselves alone that night, I thanked him for convincing me that I did want the wedding and all that had happened because I couldn’t have imagined what we had had without you there to see your years of support blossom as Matt and I started a new chapter in our lives, together.

On behalf of my husband and I…although it will never convey what we really would like it to, a final thank you for you.

Your daughter, Amanda Lynn


No comments:

Post a Comment