Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Memory Shared

After the final words were said and Bob was laid into the ground, a woman that I had met at the viewing came up to me. She said that her husband, Bob's brother, hadn't been able to make it as the drive wasn't doable and he was devastated. She said she noticed that I had taken a few photos and was hoping that I could forward them on to him. When I got back I sent them on…and this was the response that I received. It reminded me that many people were impacted by this man on so many levels and I admired him a bit more for the impact that he made on those that he loved.

Amanda, 
Thank you so much for the Obit and the pictures.  I am so sorry that I was not able to be there and meet some of my relatives.  Bob was a HERO to me in so many ways.  My memories of him when I was 5-7 years old;  My mother would play songs about the war and insert Bob's name into them,  And the morning that he arrived home at the end of the war, is emblazoned into my memories.  He was wearing his leather flight jacket with the white scarf out in front and was the picture of a war hero.  About 3 years ago, he gave me a picture of himself that looked very much like that.  I carry it everywhere and show anybody that I can and tell them his war stories.
He was also a great role model having starting college at a later age.  Jane and I got married after I left the Air Force, and I immediately entered Western Michigan.  Bob encouraged me in many ways that he had  found helpful.  I too, worked full time during my 4 years at WMU and had 2 children when I graduated 4 years later.  Bob was always there to give me welcomed hints and advice.  He was what I call a "Significant Other".
  Thanks so much for all you have shared with me.  Sorry that I did not get to meet you.   Love,   Uncle Harry  (Punk)


No comments:

Post a Comment