Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lessons in Camping, edition #1

So I officially have been reintroduced to camping. I don’t think I did horrible, I could have done better, I won’t lie…but I did get another invitation at the end of the trip. Matt and I loaded up the RV and went to Richardton…within 5 minutes I informally reminded him that I haven’t been camping. I thought the block that he handed me was to put in front of the tires, to stop the camper from rolling forward, similar to what I’ve done in the past with the livestock trailers. Not really what that block was for….it was to level the camper out. Lesson #1. Oh he’s had a ton of laughs about that one.

Lesson #2 involved the shower. For those that don’t know me well, I like showers. I clean everything, including brushing my teeth. Matt “gently” reminded me that I had a limited number of gallons of water and he had just used one, so I would not be able to take my standard 7 minute steamy shower. It was an interesting 5 minute ordeal, which made me appreciate my home shower just a bit more.

Lesson #3, if I ask nicely Matt will start the generator which allows me to blow dry and straighten my hair otherwise, forget it. GASP!

Lesson #4, this one is my favorite…s’mores are acceptable for breakfast. When I saw 2 of the kids that we were camping with snacking on them for brunch, I realized the wonderful aspect of camping that made me forget about my onagainoffagain shower.

Lesson #5, Matt is a sore loser when it comes to horseshoes.

Lesson #6, second favorite, the food that is made is amazing. Matt has always made amazing food for me but the collaborative dinner was awesome!

Lesson #7, Brendan (one of the preteens that went on the trip) is excited to rat Matt out from previous camping adventures….I learned a lot in a short amount of time.

Lesson #8, I need to bring my camera and take pics…I forgot I left it in my purse…Boo to that situation. I would have liked to get a few pics of the experience. I didn’t remember my camera until Mr. Smartypants said as we were leaving. “We should take a pic of the ground where the leveling block dug into the ground because you put it the wrong way.” Oh, he’s real funny.

"I got into an argument with a girlfriend inside of a tent. That's a bad place for an argument, because then I tried to walk out and slammed the flap. How are you supposed to express your anger in this situation? Zipper it up really quick?" -Mitch Hedberg
*Good thing we had a pickup and an RV (just kidding)

No comments:

Post a Comment