Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2015

FL: How to get out of the cold...

About 2 months ago, I called my husband on the phone and freaked out.
ALR: I NEED TO GO SOMEWHERE, WARM, AND SOON.
MJR: Where did you have it mind?
ALR: I’M LOOKING AT LAST CHANCE VACATIONS ON RCI, I’M GOING TO SEND YOU A LIST.
MJR: Okay, dear.
Later that night, instead of bringing home flight costs for international travel, he looks at me and says, why don’t we fly direct to Orlando, we’ll rent a car, drive the coast down to the Keys, and fly by the seat of our pants. I agreed and the trip was planned.

Now, I won’t lie, I wondered if we were foolish to spend the money on vacation, but after talking it out, we decided we needed it and deserved it. And now after 4 days in another world, I’d say it was the best decision of 2015. It was beautiful, wonderful, and was absolutely grand. It’s the kind of trips that you smile about for years to come, not just days after. 
We got off the plane and the first smile was at the car rental place, where Jordan at Advantage upgraded our standard car for a convertible. Yes, please. From there we got on the road, full of smiles and the thrill of the toll bridge with us. We did make our first stop at a Chick-Fil-A for a couple #3’s (Spicy Chickens) for a quick lunch/supper and then kept heading south. Matt suggested that I make a few phone calls for room rates as we had planned to stay in Key Largo. After 4 or 5 fulls and 1 ridiculously priced single room, we decided to stay in Florida City, which is the last stop before the Keys and on main land. We stayed at the Quality Inn, which wasn’t much to write-home about, but for a room in high demand, it worked. I believe the comment of the night, “We’ve stayed in worst”
We did explore a bit in town and ended up catching a light snack at Mario’s, a local Cuban restaurant. We choose appetizers-tamal en hoja, papa rellena, croquettes, and tequenos. We ended the meal with Natila, a cream custard with cinnamon and caramel. It was a wonderful snack to overstuff us before bed. The best part of the meal though was the Presidente beers that took us back to St. Maarten.

ALR: Do you have any openings tonight for a room?
Reservationist: No, I’m sorry we are full.
ALR: You are like the 5th place that I’ve called that’s full, do you have any recommendations for a place or what’s going on?
Reservationist: Yes, we are actually overbooked and have sent people all over town to make up for it. I’d recommend staying in Florida City or Homestead.
ALR: All booked?
Reservationist: Yes, and I won’t recommend going further into the Keys because it’s Fat Tuesday in Key West, so rooms will either be booked or cost a great deal and we are booked here because there is a huge nautical flea market today and tomorrow.
ALR: A Nautical Flea Market?

No comments:

Post a Comment